Tag: Leighton

 

Hospital Strike No Longer A Threat

first_imgHealth-care services for Nova Scotians will continue uninterrupted now that a strike has been averted, Health Minister Chris d’Entremont said today, Nov. 3. Mr. d’Entremont was responding to news that a tentative collective agreement has been reached today with the Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW). About 2,200 workers are employed in the District Health Authorities and the IWK Health Centre. “My concern during the labour negotiations has been for patients and that they continue to receive safe, quality care without being put at risk by the dispute,” said Mr. d’Entremont. “We wanted the district health authorities and the IWK to reach agreements at the bargaining table and they have. “This settlement also means that the tentative deal on pensions will go forward,” said Mr. d’Entremont. Both the CAW and the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) are part of a tentative pension agreement reached with five health-care sector unions and the Nova Scotia Association of Health Organizations, which administers a pension plan on behalf of the district health authorities. CUPE also has a tentative collective agreement reached earlier this week which the union is now taking to its members for ratification. Details of these new collective agreements will be shared by the unions with their members through the ratification process. Mr. d’Entremont congratulated both the unions and the CEOs of district health authorities, which employ the health-care workers, for their hard work these past few weeks. “I want to thank all staff within the hospital care system for their patience during such a stressful time, and for the work that went into preparing contingency plans that thankfully didn’t have to be used,” said Mr. d’Entremont. “I believe all the players involved are to be congratulated for their goodwill in reaching these settlements.”last_img read more