In this Feb. 17, 2015, file photo, Illinois head woman’s basketball coach Matt Bollant reacts to a call during an NCAA college basketball game in Piscataway, N.J. (AP Photo/Mel Evans, File)CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) — Former University of Illinois women’s basketball players’ allegations of racially motivated mistreatment were unfounded, investigators hired by the school concluded in a report released Monday that also found that one former assistant coach “treated players harshly.”Seven former players sued the university, coach Matt Bollant, athletic director Mike Thomas and others on July 1, alleging Bollant and some other coaches used race to divide the team and drive players out. The players are seeking at least $10 million in damages.The report from Pugh, Jones & Johnson law firm in Chicago concluded complaints from players and parents started after a string of seven losses late in the 2014-15 season and included no real evidence of a racial divide. However, the report acknowledged former assistant coach Mike Divilbiss’ treatment of players was judged as harsh by some and recommended changes such as a code of conduct for coaches.“Some athletes and their parents obviously disagreed with the coaches’ judgments about which players most effectively executed their new style of play, but there is no evidence that the coaches did not honestly believe they put the best team on the floor, without consideration of players’ race,” the report concluded.The players’ attorney, Terry Ekl, said in an email that he wasn’t surprised university-paid investigators would issue a report favorable to the school.“This is precisely why we did not wait until the conclusion of the university-funded investigation to be completed before we file suit,” Ekl said.Chancellor Phyllis Wise, the top administrator on the Urbana-Champaign campus, said in an interview that she’s “relieved” the law firm “found no evidence of racially based abuse” but that she takes the recommendations for changes “really seriously.”Thomas said a code of conduct had already been in the works and he plans to release it in the coming days. He said he’s taking other recommended steps such as making it easier for players to voice concerns. But he noted that even players interviewed for the report interpreted coaches’ behavior differently.“When you look at ‘harsh language,’ I guess people could define that in different ways.”The players’ lawsuit accuses Bollant and Divilbiss, who are White, of treating some Black players poorly to push them off the team, and doing the same to White players who supported those Black players. It also accuses them of holding segregated practices known as “the dog pound” for less-favored players, barring White and Black players from rooming together and using derogatory terms for Black players since Bollant was hired in 2012.Some current players and their parents have disputed the allegations.Divilbiss left the university in May and has not commented. Bollant has not commented either.The law firm said it interviewed 33 coaches, players, administrators and team supporters, watched video of games and practices, and reviewed more than 18,000 documents. The documents included written statements from the players who sued. They declined to be interviewed for the report.The report found Black and White players roomed together and that the extra practices — run by a Black assistant coach — were for all reserve players. Terms like “crabs” that some players believed were derogatory toward Blacks were taken by coaches from outside motivational material.But the report also notes that even before the players’ allegations some observers told Bollant that Divilbiss was too hard on players.Thomas said background checks turned up no problems when Divilbiss was hired and Bollant had “a comfort level” in having Divilbiss on his staff.University trustee James Montgomery said the report makes clear that many of the allegations aren’t backed up by facts. But Montogomery, who is Black and a lawyer, would still like to hear directly from the players.The basketball lawsuit followed a series of complaints made by former football player Simon Cvijanovic, alleging coach Tim Beckman and some staff members tried to force him to play hurt and that he had been misled about his injuries. Two other former players later said Beckman had mistreated them.An investigation by a different law firm into those allegations continues.Separately, former soccer player Casey Conine sued the university, coach Janet Rayfield, Thomas and others in May alleging she was allowed to play after a concussion in violation of school policy. Her case is pending.The combined accusations have led to widespread criticism of the university.
By Alana Mitchelson SINGING and dancing troupe Justice Crew are bringing their fun catchy beats to Pakenham for its sole…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Emergency service crews are responding to a car crash at the Oshea Road and Skyline Way intersection in Berwick which…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Castle Grove Country House Hotel are celebrating the best of autumn with a Harvest dinner on Friday Oct 19th. Here, the team share a glimpse at what guests can expect from this special event:A Traditional Harvest Feast, celebrating the perfect marriage of traditional dishes and cooking methods with a modern “CG “twist.This week at Castle Grove, we welcome the Autumn season with the Harvest Moon. Take a stroll around the Grounds and it’s immediately apparent that Autumn is well and truly upon us. Autumn vegetables in the Castle Grove Walled GardenThe birds are flocking together in readiness to take flight to warmer climes. The trees are preparing to shed their leaves and the collage of colours is amazing – with hints of yellow, brown and moody reds emerging.In the Walled Garden, Autumn fruits are ripe. The pumpkins are ready to dazzle for Halloween and the many varieties of root vegetables are ready for harvest. Indoors, it’s the time of year to get those log fires burning in the drawing rooms and to relight the majestic Aga stove in the kitchen. To celebrate this wonderful season, we are hosting a magnificent Harvest Moon Supper. In fact, it was the relighting of the Aga that gave us further inspiration to also celebrate old world cooking and preservation techniques – something that we have been doing at Castle Grove for many years.Expect to find warm hearty dishes on the menu. Expect succulent meats, root vegetables, pumpkins, game birds and wild mushrooms, all locally sourced from the grounds and nearby farms. Expect traditional country house cooking techniques – smoking, pickling, fermenting and curing. And without doubt, expect the abundance of flavour and freshness combined with first class service that is the trademark of the fine dining tradition at Castle Grove.The celebration kicks off with cocktails on arrival followed by a 7-course tasting extravaganza prepared by our award-winning chefs. The menu will be paired with fine wines, each one presented by our wine expert.Don’t miss this opportunity to take a step back in time and enjoy an old-world country house dining experience to celebrate all that is great about the Autumn Harvest.Tastes colours & textures of AutumnBooking is essential. Cocktails served from 7pm. Dinner served at 8pm. When: Friday Oct 19th at 7pm till lateCost: €65 per personBook Now: Call on 074 91 51118, DM on FB /IG or email [email protected] Castle Grove Country House HotelHarvest Moon Supper – a culinary treat not to be missed! was last modified: October 5th, 2018 by Castle GroveShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
It’s hard to exclude morality from the conversation this election season – particularly when discussing polarizing issues like immigration, a woman’s right to choose and proposals to ban people of a particular faith from the country.For many North Carolinians, morality is rooted in faith. And in September, congregation leaders will gather at a series of workshops to get a better understanding of just what can be said from behind the pulpit.The North Carolina Council of Churches organized the event, and executive director Jennifer Copeland said discussions about the election can happen without referencing a candidate or political party.“I can’t go tell everybody to vote for this person for governor or that person for governor,” Copeland said. “What can I do on behalf of my faith tradition that says, ‘Look, these are the things that people of faith need to be paying attention to; these are the issues that are important for people who follow a God that believes in peace’?”The “Keeping Sacred Spaces Sacred” workshops will take place in Greenville, Durham, Charlotte and Asheville from September 20 to 23. Registration is $15 and space is limited.Because of their tax-exempt status, churches are prohibited from endorsing a political candidate.Choosing which candidates and party to support is a personal decision, Copeland said. But faith can help guide individuals.“I do think that what happens in a lot of more progressive and sometimes mainline, moderate to progressive churches,” she said, “is we just don’t talk about this stuff from the pulpit because we think, ‘Oh, that’s political.’ But it’s not so much political as it is a faith claim.”According to Copeland, current policy debates regarding living wages, gun control and voting rights are examples of issues where faith values may influence one’s position.
‹ Email Archiving: Easing Email HeadAches Technology: Top Technologies for 2010 › Category: Technology Baseline magazine reports on a survey done by NeoChange and summarized the responses from a series of questions that were designed to probe into Enterprise problems and behaviors. Many of the problems addressed by the survey are from a category of problems that are often considered as universally chronic.For example, the survey found that only 45% of projects undertaken are ever considered successful. This response was interesting because while this result jives with the numbers reported in other surveys that try to measure project success rates, this survey also asks what metrics should be used to determine success.How should success be measured?– 74% say by the business benefits that are realized, like cost reductions or revenue generation– 62% say by measuring the level of usage within the company (like for a software application)– 44% say if the project was completed on time and within budget– 42% say by simply the fact that the project completed or was deployed Leave a Comment November 30th, 2009 Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *Comment Name *E-mail *Website
Taking potshots at the Indian cricketers for objecting to the Decision Review System, Cricket Australia Chief Executive James Sutherland has said that “some awful decisions” against them could convince India to use the technology.Indian players and the Cricket Board (BCCI) are not favour of using the DRS as they feel that the technology has many flaws and they were at the receiving end when one component of it was used.Before the ongoing Test series against Australia, there were calls for the use of DRS but the Indian cricket establishment, including skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has stuck to their guns of not using the technology.The ICC rules require both countries to agree to the use of DRS.But, Sutherland was adamant that the DRS should be introduced in all international matches.”The technology is here, the viewers are watching it on TV and we’re not using it,” Sutherland said.”Perhaps we need some pretty awful decisions to go against Indian batsmen,” he was quoted as saying by The Age.He said he is hopeful that the Indians will agree to the use of DRS in the near future.”My sense talking to Indian administrators is that there are a couple of players within the Indian team who don’t have a lot of confidence in DRS. I suspect that is perhaps a reason why the BCCI haven’t seen themselves in a position to really approve it at this stage,” Sutherland said.”It’s fact – the number of decisions that were correct have increased with the introduction of DRS and I think the entertainment value of cricket has increased as a result of DRS,” he added.advertisement
Guardiola admits Man City fans need to be won over with Champions League ambitionsby Ian Ferris25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola says fans need to be encouraged to support the Champions League after club polls showed supporters would prefer to win the Premier League than the Champions League.City open their ninth successive home campaign in the competition on Tuesday when they host Croatia’s Dinamo Zagreb.”I know for fans the Premier League is most exciting. But this competition is nice too,” said City boss Guardiola.”We are going to try and seduce our fans and say ‘we can do it’.”City have reached the semi-final once, under Manuel Pellegrini in 2016. The best they have managed during Guardiola’s three campaigns is two quarter-finals, which ended in defeats by Liverpool and Tottenham.”We have done polls and people prefer, by far, to win the Premier League rather than the Champions League,” said Guardiola.”I don’t know why but that is the reality of our club and we have to accept it. I think it is because, in the past, they were not in this competition.”We were at home in the bars, drinking beer watching Liverpool and [Manchester] United. That’s the culture of the club.”We want to win it but if we don’t, I am not going to kill myself,” he said.”Barcelona is the club in my heart. They didn’t win it until 1992 but they were born a long time before that.”I have a feeling we are closer but this competition is a high level and I wouldn’t want to arrive once in the final and then disappear for five years. That would not be good.” TagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say
Ex-Man City keeper Curtis Anderson: Why did I go to Charlotte?by Paul Vegas9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveEngland U17 World Cup winning goalkeeper Curtis Anderson admits he was wrong to leave England for the USL.Anderson cut his Manchester City contract short to join US team Charlotte Independence, but is now a free agent.He told the Manchester Evening News: “Right now, because I’m in the situation I’m in now I’m thinking I shouldn’t have done that, it was stupid. But if for example Jim McGuinness didn’t get sacked I’d probably still be there now and have played 25-30 games going into the play-offs and I’d be thinking it had been great and I’d come back in January and sign for a decent side.”But it’s not gone that way, it’s gone the complete opposite.”I’ve now not been paid for two months because I’ve not got a team. The money side of it is fine but even though I’m not standing still I’m not progressing how I want to at the minute and I’m now thinking if I’d have stayed at City until the end of the season I’d have got even more money because I’d have seen my contract out and then signed 100 per cent for a team in July and be signed to a team now.”I don’t regret it because I know I wasn’t happy in the end at City so I’d have had five months of training there every day knowing nothing is happening so when I saw the opportunity to play I didn’t think about the what ifs.”I guess that’s how I am as a person and I’ll always be like that. I jump into everything headfirst.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say